Drugstore vs. Luxury brand cosmetics: Part II

If you haven’t already checked out my first Drugstore vs. Luxury Brand blog post, you can check that out HERE. One of the things that I love is trying different cosmetic products to find what looks best on my skin, I used to almost exclusively buy Luxury Brand cosmetics from Sephora (VIB Rouge cardholder for 2 years! not anymore lol) but recently I’ve been trying out some more Drugstore products to see if they were as good. I have to admit that I was very happily surprised to find that in many cases (not all) the Drugstore cosmetics were actually a little better for me. In The UK, my Go-To drugstore brands were always Max Factor, L’Oreal Paris & Bourjois Paris. You can’t buy Max Factor in North America, which I was so upset about, BUT (story time) – During the First new Star Wars movie promotion I noticed that CoverGirl had this huge Droid vs. Dark Apprentice make-up looks promo up in collaboration with the new Star Wars movie. I thought it was an interesting concept but didn’t take much notice. A few days later I was looking through the Boots UK website (UK drugstore) and looking at the Max Factor page; Max Factor had the exact same Star Wars make-up promo as CoverGirl did!!! I did a bit of research and found that Max Factor and CoverGirl are pretty much the same company (same parent company at least) so the products are exactly the same. I used to buy the Max Factor FaceFinity 3 in 1 Foundation and it was perfect for my skin, in the CoverGirl range that is the Oulast 3 in 1 foundation (currently being promoted bby Katy Perry) and my favourite Max Factor Mascara: The Voluptuous False Lash Effect mascara – in the CoverGirl Range that is the Plumpify LashBlast mascara! I was so happy to find that I could et my favourite cosmetics again – even the packaging is the same across both companies just the colours and logos are different!

So here are a few of my favourite Drugstore vs. Luxury cosmetic picks!

I was actually on a Sephora wait-list for the Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance palette… and it was worth the wait!! The deep, rich red tones and soft golds and bronzes are so highly pigmented and have such great colour payoff on the eyelids. It’s quite a different eye-shadow set for me but so beautiful.

For the Drugstore pick, I went with CoverGirl Tru Naked Roses palette, just $13 and such beautiful rose gold tones with amazing pigmentation and staying power for a drugstore palette. I have the Urban Decay Naked 3 palette at home and to be completely honest, the CoverGirl is much better, the colour pigmentation is so much better and I can never seem to get the Naked 3 shadows to transfer on to my eyelids, it looks like there’s nothing on there, which is a shame as I love Urban Decay products!

So I have 2 Drugstore picks for Foundation as these two were both so amazing! The CoverGirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3 in 1 foundation with concealer and primer built in is amazing, flawless coverage and when put over top of a primer, it really does STAY put all day! For all you UK gals out there, this is the Max Factor FaceFinity All Day Flawless 3 in 1 foundation!

I was late hopping on to the cushion foundation bandwagon but, boy, am i glad I got on there! I had heard such amazing reviews on the L’Oreal Tue Match Lumi Cushion foundation from some of my favourite Beauty YouTubers like In The Frow, Hello October and Fleur De Force that I thought I’d give it a go. It’s light, airy, never feels cake-y or like it’s suffocating your pores! It truly does give you that gorgeous dewy glow! And for $19!

For The Luxury Brand Foundation, my pick would be the Laura Mercier Candleglow Soft Luminous foundation, it’s quite a thick feeling foundation but does blend easily and gives good coverage. I find it sometimes looks a little too heavy on my skin for daytime wear at times but for evenings out when you want to look very glam and totally flawless, this is a perfect option!

Blushes were a hard one, I have so many that I love!! Here though, I’ve got the Bourjois Little round pot in Rose D’Or, a stunning rosy shade with flecks of gold running through it, not the gold that is simply dusted on top, it’s baked in there to give this blush a gorgeous dimension on your cheeks. Bonus, it smells amazing!!!

Bare Minerals has been one of my favourite make-up brands since my Mum introduced me to them about 7 years ago now! their Vintage Peach Blush is absolutely stunning, a loose powder blush it is a gorgeous rosy tone with shimmer mixed in, use sparingly and it will last you forever! I’ve had mine for years now and it’s still going strong! It gives the most beautiful rosy glow to your face!

Finally, Highlighters! One of my favourite make-up products, I have the BeccaXJaclynHill Champagne Pop here, a stunning golden highlighter that you need to use lightly!!  It’s incredibly highly pigmented, which is amazing, but you can easily end up sweeping a bit too much on if you’re not careful, so be light with your brush!

For the Drugstore option is one of my favourite UK beauty/ skincare brands with SASS: Soap & glory’s Glow All Out! this is one that isn’t available in North America in stores BUT you can get easily on Amazon’s Beauty section. it’s a light pink highlighter with no shimmer, it’s just a gorgeous rosy glow, subtle and again, will last you for years!!

So there you have it, my run down of my favourite drugstore and luxury make-up products. Hope you enjoyed!

Happy Friday everyone! Have a Wonderful Weekend!

1. anasweetstyle
    February 17, 2017 / 8:01 am

Great post! I have spent so much on luxury cosmetics brands over the years! I sometimes feel some of them aren’t even worth the price. I use HD forever makeup foundation on my skin which I love and haven’t switched in a while, but I really need to try some of the drugstore brands you’ve suggested! Thanks for the tips!

anasweetstyle.com

2. February 17, 2017 / 9:29 am

LOVE this post! I am always back and forth between luxury brands and drugstore brands on makeup, so I always love to see other people’s great finds/opinions as well! Thanks for sharing!

XOXO- Nikki

3. February 17, 2017 / 9:53 am

Great review. There really are great drugstore products to choose from these days. Thanks for the information girl!

4. Virjinia
    February 17, 2017 / 10:13 am

I love this! I don’t like to shell out a bunch of money when I can get the same quality with drug store items. I’ll definitely check some of these out!

5. Beth Shankle Anderson
    February 17, 2017 / 12:54 pm

I love highlighters too! I just got into using them and I can’t believe I’ve gone without them for so long! They are awesome! Nice post! I really enjoyed it.

Beth || http://www.TheStyleBouquet.com

6. Victoria Schneider
    February 17, 2017 / 1:03 pm

Seriously love this series you are doing. I only buy drugstore makeup – so Im always wondering which ones are best compared to name brands!
    victoria | http://www.thesoutherntrunk.com

7. February 17, 2017 / 2:32 pm

I’m always curious to learn about new cosmetics and things trending in the market! Though my skin is too sensitive and I apply minimum makeup on my face!

8. February 17, 2017 / 2:51 pm

My cousin has the cover girl palette and she swears by it. I might have to give it a try.

9. February 17, 2017 / 2:53 pm

This is such a helpful list! I’m always looking for new things at the drug store, what girl doesn’t want new things on her makeup vanity that are budget priced?! Truly. Thanks for sharing! Will definitely be scouting a few of these out on my next Walgreens run. xo!

10. February 17, 2017 / 4:32 pm

I get nervous about using anything on my face (skin) from a drug store because it’s so sensitive! I love drugstore eyeliner and lipsticks though. I use a lot of NYX products for my eyes and maybelline for covergirl for lips. I love mixing drug store and high-end products too

xoxo Rina

• February 17, 2017 / 4:41 pm

Aww no!! I have to ssy that there are certainly a couple of drugstore brands that my skin can’t handle too. I’ve heard such great things about NYX products
      Xox

11. lovelysilvia
    February 17, 2017 / 5:14 pm

Love all the comparison from drugstore to high brand! Love that eyeshadow palette.

12. February 17, 2017 / 8:35 pm

Such great picks – thanks for the review. I absolutely love the Lumi makeup! I switch between that and a mineral makeup. I actually prefer the Lumi (definitely makes my skin luminous)!

13. February 17, 2017 / 10:41 pm

Your picks were on point. I think many high end items are overrated… I also think I’m gonna have to look at getting that CG palette, it’s gorgeous.

14. February 18, 2017 / 2:21 am

I had no idea that Max Factor and Cover Girl were from the same parent company. What a clever way to get our attention.

15. February 18, 2017 / 8:44 pm

I absolutely love when I can find a duplicate product from the luxury makeup line to a drugstore line! I can’t wait to try the brands that use spoke about especially that highlighter but you can purchase on Amazon. Thank you for sharing!

16. February 18, 2017 / 8:54 pm

i go back and forth between drug store and expensive brands. I started using a drug store foundation but the difference was clear. I went back to my Bobby Brown brand! I couldn’t help it but for mascara and all other items except lipstick, I use drug store brands

17. February 18, 2017 / 9:13 pm

Thanks so much for sharing your favorites!!! Can’t wait to try these!!!
    Angela

18. February 19, 2017 / 1:06 pm

Great read! I always want to update my make-up for a little mommy glam pick me up, but I find myself questioning if the luxury brands are worth it! I love finding great alternatives that work just as well!

19. February 19, 2017 / 5:18 pm

Thanks for the recommendations! I also have a variety of both in my makeup kit! I’ve heard amazing things about the Becca highlighter! I might have to pick it up!
    Kyla
    wanderlustkyla.com

20. February 19, 2017 / 10:52 pm

Awww great choices! I love finding some good drugstore makeup I need to try these out ☺️

21. February 20, 2017 / 7:56 am

This is great! I always love trying new drugstore products. It’s nice to be able to find a replacement for my luxury brand faves!

22. February 20, 2017 / 12:14 pm

Love that you did a luxury vs drugstore brands and kinda dupes.
    I love the rose gold color in the Covergirl palette! I had no idea Covergirl and Max Factor was the same company.
    I also really want to try the Bare Minerals blush!
    Looks beautiful ♥

Xo

23. February 20, 2017 / 5:34 pm

I love this kind of post! It’s totally helpful especially for those who couldn’t afford such a pricey makeup and aiming to have these dopes but good quality cosmetics! There are drugstore makeups that were really awesome and excellent pigmentation! Thanks for sharing!

xoxo
    Elisha | http://loveelisha.net/

24. leopardcouture
    February 22, 2017 / 11:16 pm

Love this makeup favourites post babe! Great products you mentioned 🙂 I just bought the lumi cushion and I’m super excited to try it out- sounds like you loved it! Yay can’t wait xx- Mitra

25. February 23, 2017 / 6:49 pm

Great comparison girl, love the products you have listed too! I did a post on drugstore products a while ago too, as I did more research and experimented I realized there are so many amazing drugstore cosmetics that are as good as the expensive brands (sometimes better than them actually).

xx, Kusum | http://www.sveeteskapes.com

26. February 24, 2017 / 8:13 am

What a great post! I think it’s such a good idea to incorporate some affordable items into the beauty regime. Thanks for sharing! xo, LA
    brownpaperdoll.com

27. February 25, 2017 / 3:21 pm

I need to check these out! Love how you can get things on Amazon that aren’t sold in US stores yet.

Chelsea
    Chow Down USA
    Instagram

28. The Blonde Diary
    February 25, 2017 / 8:36 pm

Thanks for sharing! I am always looking for a cheaper alternative. I am definitely buying the CoverGirl palette!

xoxo,