Y’all, I love a good midi-skirt, be it a full A-Line PartySkirt or a sleek and chic pleated skirt, they’re easy to pair with so many variations of top depending on the occasion or event and they are classy and chic! Midi-Skirts remind me of the Golden Age of Hollywood, the time when Style was demure and classy and always oh-so-chic; think Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly.
I think Midi-Skirts make some Women unsure though, the length, the style, is it too fancy for Day-wear, is it too frumpy or dowdy for Evening-wear in your 20’s and 30’s? Personally, I love the versatility of midi-skirts. I don’t tend to wear the skirts that hit mid-calf length as that seems to be the wrong place to cut off on me; it can make my legs look short and stocky. You do need to follow a few rules of thumb when buying a midi-skirt though (especially if you’re like me and do most of your clothes shopping online).
- Proportions: You want to look like Grace or Audrey not like you’re auditioning for Downton Abbey! Make sure that your skirt hits your legs in the right place and isn’t too long or too short.
- Balance: Midi-Skirts are often Fuller than many skirts, they require a tailored top half to balance the look so you don’t look frumpy in an over-sized sweater and a full skirt.
- Styling: Do you want to look like you’ve stepped out of the 50’s with bubblegum-girly style or are you wanting a more modern take on the midi-skirt look? A fitted leather-look moto jacket will give it a Grease-type vibe, you could also try pairing it with a fitted plaid shirt or even a fitted cropped-top for cute Summer styling!
- Tailor: If you are completely in love with a skirt but it doesn’t come in a petite length or it hits your legs just a bit too long then take it to a tailor and have it hemmed. It’s a super inexpensive and quick fix and you’ll end up with the perfect skirt for you.
- Oh my God, Shoes!: If you’re worried about looking too mature or a little dowdy then grab a killer pair of heels with fabulous colours or details and pair those with the skirt for an instant on-trend pick-me-up.
So there’s my top tips for finding and styling your perfect Midi-Skirt a-la Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday!
Photos by Jenna Lynn Photography