How to Find The Perfect Midi-Skirt

Y’all, I love a good midi-skirt, be it a full A-Line PartySkirt or a sleek and chic pleated skirt, they’re easy to pair with so many variations of top depending on the occasion or event and they are classy and chic! Midi-Skirts remind me of the Golden Age of Hollywood, the time when Style was demure and classy and always oh-so-chic; think Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly.

I think Midi-Skirts make some Women unsure though, the length, the style, is it too fancy for Day-wear, is it too frumpy or dowdy for Evening-wear in your 20’s and 30’s? Personally, I love the versatility of midi-skirts. I don’t tend to wear the skirts that hit mid-calf length as that seems to be the wrong place to cut off on me; it can make my legs look short and stocky. You do need to follow a few rules of thumb when buying a midi-skirt though (especially if you’re like me and do most of your clothes shopping online).

• Proportions: You want to look like Grace or Audrey not like you’re auditioning for Downton Abbey! Make sure that your skirt hits your legs in the right place and isn’t too long or too short.
  • Balance: Midi-Skirts are often Fuller than many skirts, they require a tailored top half to balance the look so you don’t look frumpy in an over-sized sweater and a full skirt.
  • Styling: Do you want to look like you’ve stepped out of the 50’s with bubblegum-girly style or are you wanting a more modern take on the midi-skirt look? A fitted leather-look moto jacket will give it a Grease-type vibe, you could also try pairing it with a fitted plaid shirt or even a fitted cropped-top for cute Summer styling!
  • Tailor: If you are completely in love with a skirt but it doesn’t come in a petite length or it hits your legs just a bit too long then take it to a tailor and have it hemmed. It’s a super inexpensive and quick fix and you’ll end up with the perfect skirt for you.
  • Oh my God, Shoes!: If you’re worried about looking too mature or a little dowdy then grab a killer pair of heels with fabulous colours or details and pair those with the skirt for an instant on-trend pick-me-up.

Skirt | Sweater | Bag  (Budget Friendly)| Shoes

So there’s my top tips for finding and styling your perfect Midi-Skirt a-la Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday!

Photos by Jenna Lynn Photography

Happy Wednesday

1. March 8, 2017 / 6:44 am

This is super helpful! I always thought my body type didn’t go well with these!

2. March 8, 2017 / 6:57 am

I’ve been looking for a midi-skirt! Great tips, thank you for sharing! All your pictures are super cute too! 🙂

3. March 8, 2017 / 10:30 am

Awesome tips! I loved that skirt. Personally I do not wear many skirts – mostly because I am always cold, but I would consider this style because its a bit below the knees!

4. Virjinia
    March 8, 2017 / 10:40 am

I love this! I’m short so I’m not sure if this style would work for me but it looks super cute!

5. March 8, 2017 / 10:48 am

I personally love midi skirts! I have several in all different lengths. I really love the pleats and soft lavender of the one you’ve styled here! Super cute!

6. March 8, 2017 / 12:25 pm

Love everything about this skirt- the colour is amazing! I love that this length is so versatile.

7. March 8, 2017 / 1:01 pm

Super tips here. I am always afraid of this length. It doesn’t hit the most attractive part of my calf. Thank you for presenting some stylish options.

8. March 8, 2017 / 1:25 pm

Great article! I adore midi skirts. In fact this length is my favorite to wear because it looks the best on my figure. Love your tips!

9. March 8, 2017 / 3:32 pm

Love your tips for finding the perfect midi-skirt. I love prefer my midi skirts, A-line or fitted. Midi’s are so chic and feminine. Love the pumps and purse pairing!

10. March 8, 2017 / 6:22 pm

I love this post!!! Also, I love your pleated midi skirt!! It’s gorgeous!!
    Angela

11. March 9, 2017 / 4:03 am

These are great tips! Thanks for sharing them. I’ll have to be on the look out for a midi skirt now. 🙂

12. March 9, 2017 / 7:24 am

The colors are perfect for spring and the purse tops it all with the outfit. You look lovely!

13. March 9, 2017 / 11:43 am

Great tips! Love your skirt! I struggle with midis because I’m short but also hate wearing heels ha ha!

14. March 9, 2017 / 9:25 pm

I’ve been trying to find a cute midi skirt, but I also need to find a place to wear it! I love the pleats on yours! You have some fantastic tips for selecting the right one!

-Eva

15. March 9, 2017 / 9:41 pm

Love your style. So feminine and girly. Nude colors look great on you. I own several midi skirts, and I love how I could combine them from work to a night out. Great post!

16. March 10, 2017 / 7:57 am

Love this skirt and the whole look!

17. March 10, 2017 / 9:11 am

I am drooling over the color of that gorgeous skirt! Love how you styled!

18. March 10, 2017 / 1:04 pm

You look amazing. I always thought these kind skirts will not suit me as I am short and round. Very stylish too

19. March 10, 2017 / 9:41 pm

My hardest part is proportion! I’m so short so it always ends up long!

20. March 11, 2017 / 4:49 am

I love everything about this outfit!! Definitely helpful as I’ve been looking for a midi-skirt myself!! 🙂

21. March 12, 2017 / 2:32 pm

Such a stunning skirt! I’m putting this on my “want” list. Also, I love the shots of Seattle in the background (my hometown). 🙂

22. Kyla
    March 12, 2017 / 3:08 pm

Can you believe I don’t own a midi skirt? You’re making me want one after seeing this though! I love the color for spring!
    Kyla
    Wanderlustkyla.com

23. March 13, 2017 / 11:15 am

I’m loving this midi skirt of yours! Thanks for all of the tips, it can definitely be tough to wear a midi and style it!

24. March 13, 2017 / 11:22 am

This skirt looks SO fabulous on you! I love your tips because I haven’t been able to pull off this style yet!

25. leopardcouture
    March 13, 2017 / 12:07 pm

Great tips girly! Love these shots as well! That purple skirt with the white sweater is so adorable together! – Mitra xo

26. March 13, 2017 / 11:52 pm

you are so cute and this is such a helpful blog post! I have a midi skirt but I got it a tad too big, granted I’ve been excercising, but hey now I have an excuse to go shopping!

27. March 15, 2017 / 11:52 am

I LOVE a midi skirt…you’re totally right – you can dress it up or down. Plus, that color looks gorgeous on you! xo, LA
    brownpaperdoll.com

28. March 19, 2017 / 3:29 pm

I’ve never been a fan of mini skirts but have always loved midis. Just like you, they’ve always reminded me of Old Hollywood and the class that it used to have. I am so happy midi skirts are in now as I definitely appreciate the modesty of them as well <3
    Your skirt & the way you styled it is just so lovely, honey <3