The Importance of Great Haircare

One thing that I have recently found myself really appreciating is a really great Salon. I’ve been dying my hair since I was 16 years old, mainly myself at home, and honestly I’ve been every (natural-coloured) hair colour except black hair. But dying your hair constantly from such a young age is incredibly damaging. And 2 weeks ago I decided that I was going to bit the bullet and go the colour I’d wanted to for years but had always been too scared to do… silver platinum. Now, as you can see from these photos, I’m not quite there yet with that colour as the colourist had to bleach out all the brown and gold tones that we’re previously in there which took 4 HOURS!! But one more colour session and I’ll be silver!

Bleach had always terrified me, I have very thick and healthy hair and I was so afraid of the dry, brittle condition that hair ends up in when massive quantities of bleach are used (I also didn’t want to end up with brassy orange toned hair like Vicky Pollard from Little Britain!). Here’s where finding an amazing salon comes in to it. Do your research and find a good one. The girl in the Mall salon who cuts your hair shorter than you wanted it because she was too busy talking about what “pretty colours my babies would be” yup that happened to me, she’s probably not someone you want Bleaching your locks!

I have been to a few different salons now in Downtown Vancouver and they were fine but never perfect. I did some research on the Web and found the salon that I now go to: Luxe Salon in Port Moody, they don’t use ammonia in any of their products, they’re friendly and bonus, they have wine on their complimentary drinks menu! But seriously, four hours in there and I could not stop smiling looking at my hair in the mirror after it was coloured!!! The best compliment I was given on instagram afterwards was that I looked “very In the Frow” huge compliment there because Victoria McGrath’s silver hair is major hair goals.

Something I learned when I went ash blonde this time was that the drugstore haircare products were simply not going to cut it. Even the sulfate free blonde hair shampoos and conditioners turned my ash hair brassy when I first got my hair coloured, which was so disheartening especially when you pay a lot for professional hair colour. So I advise you to get the purple shampoo and conditioner from the salon, they’re not just trying to make your bill larger, seriously, you’ll kick yourself after a $350 hair colour goes brassy because of the cheap drugstore hair products. I use EVO purple platinum conditioner and Milkshake silver shampoo along with a split end sealant and a leave-in protein spray for the damage and dryness.

I never bothered with a good salon and my hair always took a backseat when it came to beauty and appearance but not anymore. And if you’re in the Vancouver area and need a great salon then I recommend Luxe in Port Moody!

Xoxo Ellie

1. March 26, 2017 / 6:08 am

God I’m the same I’ve been dying my hair from brown to blonde multiple times since I’ve been 18 and its definitely taking its toll. Thankfully I have a great stylist who has now told me that if I have to go lighter he can do it without a harsh bleach so I’m taking it slow now with a few highlights here and there. I can’t believe your going silver thats going to look amazing I cant wait to see it.. I would soooo love to do that but Im afraid my hair would just fall out!

2. March 26, 2017 / 7:36 pm

Yes, taking care of your hair is super important!! It is one part of us that people see every day! Your hair looks fab!

3. March 27, 2017 / 7:02 am

I have recently been caring for hair so much more and it helps it so much. I have never dyed my hair but one of these days I may give it a go. Also you do indeed have a great haircut!

4. March 27, 2017 / 7:43 am

Your hair looks great. I just got a new cut & color this weekend after months of neglect. It’s amazing how much that helps our attitude, right? 🙂

5. March 27, 2017 / 9:07 am

I am so so picky about my hair. I love this post because I thought maybe I was the only one who put a lot of value in their hair.

6. March 27, 2017 / 4:08 pm

Your hair looks simply gorgeous! And I totally understand how amazing it can be to go from box dying your hair throughout your life (was me through mosf of my life too!) to getting it salon coloured: such an amazing change! I’ll have to check out that salon, they sound amazing.

Emma

7. Andrea Broom
    March 27, 2017 / 6:46 pm

You hair looks great, I used to die my hair all the time and i stopped a while back.

8. March 27, 2017 / 7:34 pm

Totally, with all the chemicals we put in our hair we have to be make sure to take good care of it. Your hair looks amazing babe, it looks silky smooth and the soft curls add so much texture to your hair!

xx, Kusum | http://www.sveeteskapes.com

9. March 27, 2017 / 9:08 pm

Your hair looks amazing! I love the soft curls!

10. March 27, 2017 / 9:46 pm

I couldn’t agree more. We have to love our hair otherwise it just doesn’t style as easily. I love your blow out!! It looks gorgeous, healthy, and bouncy!! I’m a big fan of being picky on what color line is used on my hair. It might have to do with my career before babies, and blogger was an Aveda Colorist. I totally agree with everything you said!! I’m so glad you are doing this in stages. Most people don’t understand that. You look gorgeous!! Love the flowers!!
    Angela

11. March 28, 2017 / 2:18 am

Your hair looks so beautiful and bouncy. It is really important to have a hairstylist who understand you and your hair and uses products that suit you best 🙂

12. March 28, 2017 / 4:47 am

Your hair looks awesome and I love your overall look with the floral dress. I stopped coloring my own hair years ago and started visiting a color expert and she takes great care of my hair. The products you are using sound like they work well.

13. March 28, 2017 / 5:37 am

I’ve got short hair, but this would be all kinds of interesting to my girlfriend! Thanks!

14. March 28, 2017 / 5:56 am

Healthy hair is everything and I’m just learning that after my hair got damaged. Love your post and dress

15. March 28, 2017 / 8:15 am

Healthy hair is so important and I have never dyed mine. Many people have a lot of breakage and hair damage even though their hair may at times look nice, it is not healthy. I love taking good care of my hair and myself.

16. March 28, 2017 / 8:21 am

I love your hair color and it definitely looks healthy and shiny!

17. Brittany_WMSB
    March 28, 2017 / 8:34 pm

Going platinum when your color is naturally darker is definitely a process. I’m always impressed by people who can do it! I’m a natural blonde and I get highlights. I live by purple shampoo! I used to think quality hair products were a salon scam and I totally know now that high quality salons and their products are worth every penny.

18. Kyla
    March 28, 2017 / 11:10 pm

A salon that has wine?? Ummmm yes please! Your hair looks GORGEOUS this color! I can’t wait to see the final result!
    Kyla
    Wanderlustkyla.com

19. March 30, 2017 / 6:01 am

Ellie ! I love your hair care tips! I need these for my Rapunzel long hair which is always the challenge in the morning when I get ready! But I can’t cut it off I just can’t do it! Definitely need those trims. Thanks for sharing!

Sarah

20. March 30, 2017 / 12:57 pm

Girl I’m an asian girl dying her hair blonde haha so you can imagine how damaged my hair is all the time and I’ve only recently started giving it the love it needs!

Your hair looks so healthy though babe – can’t wait to see the results

Helen xx

21. March 31, 2017 / 2:22 am

I agree that hair care is so important! That’s why I like to invest in quality products!

Polly

22. April 3, 2017 / 11:01 am

I always love finding out ways to take better care of my hair! Yours is so pretty and looks so fresh! Thanks for the great article!

23. April 8, 2017 / 12:53 pm

That is so exciting you’re on your way to having your dream hair hon <3 Your hair looks so beaut in these pics!! Love it!! I have actually been going in an opposite direction since going blonde 5 years ago pretty much destroyed my hair. Even though I was doing it gradually, my blonde hair was so brittle and went super thin in no time. So last year I decided enough was enough and grew it out a bit without any dye for half a year. Then I got it "fixed" with a beautiful natural looking balayage. Think I am also almost there with my dream hair 🙂
    xox Nadia