Dirty Thirties: I Can’t Adult Today

Where the heck has the time gone!? It seems like just yesterday that I moved here at the age of 22 and now I’m 30. All those times that I used to wish to be an adult when I was in School so I could have the “freedom”. Now I’m past my 20’s and I’ve hit that big zero! And it bloody hurts! Lets be honest, we all wanted to be an adult when we had a big School assignment or test looming and school years seemed to go by like a snail but now when you hit 30, trust me, those years are flying by and you’re just sat here thinking “crap, hold up! Can we slow down ’cause i’m gonna be 40 soon!” because that’s how it works when you hit 30, you start thinking that you’re about 1 day away from turning 40. The days of when I was living at home seemed like yesterday, when my Mum was buying the groceries and doing the Laundry (I was not allowed anywhere near the laundry because clearly I was going to stick the colours in with the whites and crank the setting up to a boil wash!) so I was sat upstairs with my PS1 and honing my skills at Spyro The Dragon, Crash Bandicoot, Ridge Racer Type 4 and Tekken! (The only 4 games that I know how to play… I may be ok with Mario Kart now but that’s as savvy as I get at gaming!)

I remember that when I was in my teens in School, I was going to marry Leonardo DiCaprio one day! (apparently I was in a long line-up for that one after the release of Romeo & Juliet and Titanic!) Well reality turned out a tad different and I do have to say “sorry Leo, you couldn’t hold a candle to my Husband now: – somehow I don’t think he’ll loose sleep over this revelation. The acting went out the window too after University  when I realized the actual likelihood of me getting work was slim to none, so I thought “sod it I’m going to another continent for a year away from you lot!” – please note that my Family is not included in that “you lot” statement.

So my 30th came around and I was running around having a pre-mid-life crisis about Father Time ripping me out of my comfy 20’s. Panicking about all those things I was “supposed” to have achieved by 30 like Bring about World Peace with Pepsi ;P and becoming hugely successful in something, and really, if I’m honest, I may not have achieved the things that I originally held in such high regard but I did achieve a fair amount in my 20’s, far more than anyone expected I would. I bought an apartment, got married, got a great Career and then got 2 cats! (yup I’m 1 more  cat away from being a cat-lady!) and then, after some personal heartaches, I started my blog. So I started to move out of the Oh-my-God-I’m-30-and-soon-i’ll-be-40 stage and in to the “heck-I’m-a-badass-career-woman-with-a-life-i’ve-worked-my-ass-off-for” mindset; in the words of Lilly Singh/ SuperWoman I was a Bawse – and damn proud of it!

A few of the things that I am super happy about in my 30’s – no more multi-coloured corduroy trousers or jeans so wide-leg that they could cover the O2 Arena on a rainy day! I now have the ability to tell negative people where they can get off #ByeFelicia, I have an apartment, a whole darn condo that I can decorate because thankfully my Husband leaves the decorating choices up to me… or I fear the walls would be covered in Star Wars and The Canucks posters (don’t be a hater). I also get super happy when I get ID’d in the Liquor store now! Gone are the days of “oh my God can’t you tell i’m over 18!?” now I’m happy if they think I look under 18!

Anyway! I’ll say Ciao for now and see y’all on Monday! Have a Fab weekend, if you’re in Vancouver… try not to drown, I feel like we’re all going to develop webbed feet soon with all this rain!

Skirt from Bliss Tulle

Denim Jacket

Stessy Shoes from Aldo

1. April 7, 2017 / 7:48 am

I went through the same phase when I clocked 30 and I actually moved to a different continent for work and school. The big 30 have made me realise what I want and do not want and I think it’s great. I am more focused now. Great post

2. April 7, 2017 / 9:29 am

I’m 29!!! Time is going too fast and it’s scary, I like being self-sufficient but I hate the fact that I can’t sit on the floor for long periods of time without aching anymore!

3. April 7, 2017 / 9:36 am

Great article! We get to be empowered women not women controlled by the status quo of society!

4. April 7, 2017 / 10:27 am

Thirty seems like SUCH a big deal when you’re younger and when you finally get there.. still a big deal but not as much lol great post!

5. April 7, 2017 / 10:37 am

I feel like I’m going through that now and I’m turning 27 this year. The amount of personal growth I’ve experienced is amazing, but it’s still a bit scary to feel like time is flying by. Great post!

6. April 7, 2017 / 10:41 am

I had a very similar melt down when I turned 30. It was sad and a little pathetic but then just like you I took a look at my life and realized I had a lot to be thankful for and proud of. And that a lot can happen in 10 years lol. I love your skirt btw!

7. Billy M
    April 7, 2017 / 11:50 am

OMG this post is the truth, I remember wishing I was older as a kid (in order to try out for the real world lolI which i never did because I blinked and suddenly was too old to try out! haha). But I know how you feel, time is flying by! I am in such a m00d lately, so happy to hear I am not alone! …. PS I remember seeing this outfit on your IG or following your FBK page perhaps and I absolutely love it! The puffy skirt with the tank is such a perfect combo and I love that the jacket adds a bit of casual-ness to it!

8. alifeofauthenticity
    April 7, 2017 / 12:16 pm

Great post, so true! I’d have to say that these realizations are common at every stage of “adulthood”.

9. jburge328
    April 7, 2017 / 1:45 pm

Love your whole outfit! When I turned 30 I was in shock, but by 33 I realized that my 30’s were going to be the best years of my life. My that I’m 36 and fast approaching another milestone I know that whatever age you are you can make the best of it and enjoy life to its fullest! Happy 30!!!

10. April 7, 2017 / 2:25 pm

I turned 30 this year too. I am enjoying it. I get to act all giddy when I get carded for stuff. My late twenties were more traumatic for me. I feel like people are less likely to give you that you’re-too-young-for-this look.

11. April 7, 2017 / 2:51 pm

I still remember how I felt when I turned 30. What you described is true to many people, especially women. Hope you enjoy your life! BTW, you look gorgeous in the cute outfit.

12. April 7, 2017 / 8:04 pm

I’ll be turning 32 this year and I have to say that I don’t feel my age! I’ve learned that age is just a number (cliche, I know). 🙂

13. April 7, 2017 / 9:06 pm

I loved reading this post!! I love your skirt!!! Happy birthday weekend!!!
    Angela

14. April 8, 2017 / 4:50 am

That outfit is adorable! My husband just turned 30 this year, and went through a lot of the same thoughts. It’s a hard age! But you look and sound like you’re rocking it!

15. April 8, 2017 / 7:56 am

Cute post, and oh-so-true! Wait until you *actually* turn 40!! Love the outfit – the skirt and shoes paired with the denim jacket are spot on!

16. April 8, 2017 / 8:16 am

I know what you mean about reaching the start of a new decade of life. Certainly made me feel older

17. April 8, 2017 / 10:10 am

Happy 30th!! I think we often get sucked into the world’s standards about who we should be and how much we should achieve by a certain age, but I think it’s different for everyone.

18. April 9, 2017 / 9:55 am

I’ve always believed that with age comes wisdom. And your fashion sense tends to get a lot better with time. Haha!

19. Virjinia
    April 9, 2017 / 2:27 pm

I love your outfit! Happy Birthday. You keep on being a boss girl. Can’t wait to see what 30 will bring for you. 👏

20. elizabethghekiere
    April 9, 2017 / 2:45 pm

Beautiful dress and really the entire outfit! You’re doing awesome, keep it up!

21. April 9, 2017 / 3:17 pm

You look younger than your age! I am only 22 but I’m afraid I look like older. Time really is flying too fast so let’s make the most out of it!

22. CurvyLogic
    April 9, 2017 / 4:20 pm

Welcome to your 30s! It can be terrifying to leave the 20s behind but I have yet to see someone who wishes they were back in their 20s after they spend a few years in the 30s. You’ll love it!!

23. val
    April 9, 2017 / 8:21 pm

I remember when 30 sounded SO old and now I’m there and it’s not so bad 🙂

24. April 10, 2017 / 3:05 am

Welcome to the “flirty thirty” club! 😉 You look simply fabulous!

25. April 10, 2017 / 11:18 am

Welcome to your 30s! I’m turning 35 this year and let me tell you – it gets better every year babe 🙂 It’s just a number so live it up!

26. April 10, 2017 / 11:36 am

From age 16 to very recently I felt very much like this. It’s a weight off to feel different!