Dreams in Reality & Reaching Goals

What do you want to do? What do you want to be? It’s not a hard question, really. When we’re children, we want to be astronauts, we want to be Princesses (ok that one isn’t so realistic), we want to be Actresses. I did want to be an Actress actually, It’s what I studied and what my University Degree is in. I think there’s a bit of a stigma attached to goals and dreams; we’re always told from a young age to “Dream Big” or “Follow our Dreams” but when we get to University we’re told that dreams are just that (often) and to live happily and comfortably in today’s Society then we need a “Real Job” certainly, living in Vancouver, wanting to be an Actress isn’t going to get you a home, or even a rental place to live and buy food. But Dreams are important, they’re good. Chasing things with Integrity (10 points if you know where that line came from any OTH fans out there :P) is good. If we didn’t have dreamers out there then we probably wouldn’t have Apple or Microsoft or Academy Award winning moviesย and Emmy Winning TV shows etc…. But when you get to a certain age, things are measured, perhaps a little too often, by how successful you are (bearing in mind that’s someone else’s idea of Success generally). Do you have a Fortune 500 Company, Do you own a Mercedes or a Condo in Coal Harbour? But we need Dreamers, to think outside the box and create a better life and Society for everyone.

Here are my top tips for Reaching your goals and dreams:

Stop Living In the Past:

It’s important to remember that past failures DO NOT define your future. If you want to be successful in your future, then stop over-analyzing the past, stop re-living it and allowing what happened back the stop you from doing what could be your big break. Learn from your past mistakes and failures and use them to get better at what you’re doing.

If you can’t stop thinking about it, don’t stop working towards it.

How often have you heard this one, or seen it on Pinterest?! It’s re-pinned ad nauseum for good reason. If you want to do something, start a band, work at Vogue, Start a blog then ignore all the noise around you, all the people saying “that’s ridiculous” or “you can’t do that, it’s not a real career”. Go do it. I wonder how many people told Zuckerberg that Facebook was silly or that it would never work. Look at Facebook now, does anyone remember MySpace…no, because Facebook came along and now we all use it. If you’re doing something that you’re not happy in and you are constantly thinking of that Tech start-up that you want to create, then you’re wasting your time. That being said, NEVER think that you are better than the job you currently have! that job is paying you and many people wish they had that job. Be grateful, be smart and work hard.

Don’t wait for others’ to approve your ideas.

You will never get anywhere if you wait for everyone else to be on-board with you goals or vision. Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, Angry Birds! I’m fairly sure that none of the creators of these Global, society, life-changing companies/ tools waited until everyone agreed with their plans before putting their ideas in to actions. Nobody is going to always agree with you but you’re going to have to go do it anyway, how else are you going to learn, fail, create and grow.

Don’t Compare yourself to Others

Here’s another good quote to remember: “The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we constantly compare our behind the scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel” – comparing yourself to Zoella or Taylor Swift or whomever, will get you NOWHERE! It’ll make you miserable and insecure. You just need to keep your head down, bock out the chatter around you and focus on your idea. Don’t look at the number of likes or the number of follows or re-tweets etc… those are just numbers and they won’t make you happy or mean that you’ll be a success, hard work and kindness will make you successful Don’t aim to be popular, aim to be successful and respected for your work ethic and kindness.

Don’t expect Overnight Success

Nobody said chasing your dreams would be easy, it’s going to take knocks, bumps, bruises, the occasional melt-down where you give-up, scrap your idea and then pick back up the next morning and push on. These are the things that will set you apart from the crowd. How many TV Musical Talent show winners do you actually remember, how many hit the big time and have genuinely successful careers; I can think of maybe 5. There are not many cases of people being handed success, having the right people backing them and getting them in to the Public’s view. Most people have to work VERY HARD! Your favourite YouTubers and Entrepeneurs ALL had to work hard and create good, content that was useful and would be appealing and helpful to their viewers, they have to put in the time and the hours to make their chosen careers work. And really, do you honestly want to just be a flash-in-the-pan overnight sensation who doesn’t have that staying power? Or do you want to have a lasting career out of your dreams and goals?

Have a Great Tuesday Everyone!

1. April 18, 2017 / 6:52 am

Couldn’t agree more. This year was life changing for me. I just stop thinking of the past and worrying about the future. Thanks for sharing!

2. April 18, 2017 / 7:00 am

Couldn’t agree more with all these tips. Comparing ourselves with others can be beneficial, but often times, it limits our potential. There is comfort in the crowd.

3. Anita Anderson
    April 18, 2017 / 7:18 am

These tips are on point. Do what makes you happy and don’t worry what others think. If you worry what others might say you stop yourself from being what your meant to do.

4. April 18, 2017 / 8:32 am

Thanks for your post. It fits me as I am trying to change direction in my life. I can use all of the helpful hints you gave.

5. April 18, 2017 / 9:45 am

I have a habit of comparing myself to others and it is not healthy. I also believe that you are right when you say that it is important to not live in the past. Living in the past can stop you from having a successful future.

6. April 18, 2017 / 10:36 am

Loved this! Very inspirational and refreshing! I especially enjoyed how you explained the different aspects of what it takes to reach goals and live your dreams! Thanks for sharing! ๐Ÿ™‚

7. April 18, 2017 / 12:02 pm

Your photos are beautiful, btw ๐Ÿ™‚
    You are so right though. I over analyze everything and while I have finally learned to put most of my past behind me, its hard not to relive the previous day over and over. I also compare myself to EVERYONE, I’ve never felt good in enough in any aspect of my life and it has a lot to do with their success and that fact that as I am getting older, the more impatient I become.

8. April 18, 2017 / 12:57 pm

Thanks for this motivating article. Such a great week starter! We should all really stop comparing, and just work towards being a better individual while trusting the process. Hope we’ll reach our dreams and goals by implementing your tips in our lives. ๐Ÿ™‚

9. morerebe
    April 18, 2017 / 12:57 pm

I love this post! So inspiring and motivational. Words of wisdom, and there are lots of things you mentioned that I finally come to realize just this year. I’m glad that you could put it into words, because I didn’t know how to!

Rebecca | morerebe.com

Please check out my international giveaway!

10. April 18, 2017 / 1:21 pm

I’m starting back up on youtube and on my blog after a veeeery long hiatus, and I really needed to read this post. Thanks so much. I definitely have to work on the “Don’t compare yourself to others” one though.

11. April 18, 2017 / 1:45 pm

This is so inspirational. We’re on the same page when it comes to setting and reaching goals. Most importantly, be persistent and never ever give up! ๐Ÿ™‚

12. April 18, 2017 / 1:56 pm

I have always felt that, if I dream it why can’t it become real! I love to dream then focus on a mission!

13. April 18, 2017 / 2:39 pm

Great tips – espeically not comparing yourself to other people!

14. April 18, 2017 / 4:06 pm

What a fabulous post!! I think ‘Don’t Wait For Others To Approve Your Ideas’ is the best piece of advice I’ve heard in a really long time – so true! We wait for unspoken permission from others to move forward with our dreams, yet they are our dreams not anyone else’s, so why do we do that!!

15. April 18, 2017 / 5:06 pm

So many good points! I tend to compare myself to other people and wonder what I’m doing wrong. All great reminders! Thanks for sharing:)

16. April 18, 2017 / 5:08 pm

Not expecting overnight success is so, so key! It’s so easy to give up when you don’t get immediate results from something, but you just have to keep trucking along. Beautiful Vancouver backdrop in your photos!

17. April 18, 2017 / 6:53 pm

I have a HUGE dream. I see no reason why i can’t make it and i keep pushing and pushing until i do.

18. thehealthfulideas
    April 18, 2017 / 11:45 pm

Don’t expect overnight success is a big one for me. I’ve been blogging for two years now and I’m still not making much of an income from it. There is so much to improve. Gotta go one step at a time! ๐Ÿ™‚

19. Julie Hood
    April 19, 2017 / 4:47 am

I’ve never heard that “if you can’t stop thinking about it” one before! But I love it. And your pictures are so cute!

20. twinklesharma100595
    April 19, 2017 / 7:42 am

Wonderful writeup. People are so in a hurry to reach the final destination that they forget that nothing happens in one night. Excellent thought given.

21. April 19, 2017 / 9:21 am

These are all such great tips! I can’t agree more. I put off many things for no reason, and highly regret it. I definitely could have been further along by now if I hadn’t!

22. alisonrost
    April 19, 2017 / 8:55 pm

In the age of social media .. it’s easier than ever to compare ourselves to others. I also believe we can’t wait for other people to approve of our ideas. I’ve done that in the past and it only leaves me feeling bummed out. Thank-you for the great post .. just like a pep talk from a friend!

23. April 21, 2017 / 12:42 pm

Couldn’t agree more with you on this post. it’s human nature to compare ourselves to other,s which is why the Jone’s theory always works. Although it’s not a good idea to compare ourselves to others.

24. April 21, 2017 / 6:38 pm

I don;t completely agree with this. I too compared myself with other, but most the times it demotivated me. exception following great leaders and their habit. SO I just stopped comparison.
    Other than this.. your pics are amazing

25. April 22, 2017 / 6:16 am

What a great post and lovely pictures. i totally agree, if it is something that you can not get out of your head, then it is something you must strive towards and never expect things to happen over night.