Life Hacks: Stop Trying to be Perfect!

There is a quote by Alan Ball that I love, from when he was writing American Beauty (Best. Movie. Ever!) “There is room for Beauty in every facet of existence.” We just have to open our eyes to see it. Which is a nice segue in to my Motivational post for the day:

Strive for Progress, not Perfection: ah that unattainable ‘P’ word… Perfection. What is “Perfect”, the media and Society have their version, certainly, but that doesn’t mean it’s correct. Nobody is perfect, even when you’re in a new relationship, you think that Person is “Perfect” they’re not: but to you they are and that’s all that matters. Barbie dolls, the never ending debate about Barbie’s ridiculous proportions, mannequins in store windows, Kim Kardashian’s backside and figure in THAT magazine cover! These are all what society perceives to be “perfect” you have money, you have killer legs, you have an amazing figure, and to them that’s perfect. It’s not. We all know that, you don’t need me telling you that. But it applies to daily life, at work. We are humans, we learn from our mistakes and  nobody is perfect, as long as you work your butt off to try and achieve progress, so you are in a better place today than you were yesterday then that is all you need. Stop trying to aim for perfection. It’s not attainable and you’ll drive yourself insane trying! Trying to be Perfect 24/7 is the quickest way to end up crippled by Anxiety, depression and Stress, which will affect your physical health as well as your mental health. Aim for progress and work hard. you’ll get where you need to be soon enough.

If you need a good resource for Stress and Mental Well-being then I suggest checking out #MentalMovement; for stories from others dealing with stress, anxiety and depression as well as tips on how to overcome negative feelings and emotions and also food and recipes that will help to get your emotions and well-being back on track!

Here are a few of my favourite ways to beat the perfectionism blues so you can just feel happy and content:

1. Put on a song that you can’t help but feel happy listening to: DON’T use it as your alarm as you’ll grow to hate it but put it on when you’re in the shower and doing your hair & make-up: I am a massive Taylor Swift fan (sorry not sorry) and my two absolute favourite songs to listen to when I’m getting ready in the morning are “New Romantics” and “Wonderland”. Whatever your favourite songs are, make a playlist and put it on to evoke those happy vibes on a Monday morning when you’re putting your face on!

2. Get up 10 minutes earlier and do some simple yoga stretches and poses: – YouTube video’s are great for this, personally I like Cassey Ho’s Blogilates videos, the Pilates stretches and she is chatty and energetic so it keeps you from thinking how tired you are.

3. Watch a 5 minute video by your favourite funny YouTuber: there’s no way to feel miserable when you’re watching Good Mythical Morning by Rhett & Link, Grace HelbigiiSuperwomanii or Dan & Phil

4. Make a list of everything that you’re excited about that week. I realize that sometimes making a list seems pointless and you’re going to forget that list anyway but having a list of goals and things that you want to achieve will motivate you to actually do something about it! You likely won’t actually forget it and when you can tick off one of the things from that list, think how good you’ll feel!

5. Make a great make-ahead breakfast the night before that you can’t wait to eat, like cinnamon, Apple baked oatmeal. Don’t skip breakfast, no matter what people say, you’ll feel sluggish and cranky and you won’t perform well at work or school. And no, a nutrigrain bar/ nutella on toast/ Tim Horton’s muffin is not a proper breakfast, you’ll end up hungry and crashing from all the sugar in those items. Go on Pinterest and find a great make-ahead breakfast with protein that you can make the evening before and then grab in the morning as you head out of the door… stress free!

Have a Wonderful Thursday!

Keep being you, don’t give up and don’t make yourself miserable trying to be Perfect!

1. April 20, 2017 / 7:34 am

I love this outfit! You look so confident and beautiful in it. Great job on the photos the shots are stunning. Thanks for sharing. XO

2. April 20, 2017 / 7:50 am

Love this post; there really is no such thing as being perfect. Love the outfit too!

Belle | One Awesome Momma

3. April 20, 2017 / 8:36 am

I agree, I am a perfectionist by nature but your right perfection does not exist. When we learn to embrace our flaws that is when our success becomes granted. I will be checking out the #mentalmovement x

4. April 20, 2017 / 9:03 am

Making lists actually does help bring down my stress. At least then I can see what I want to do, and if I dont finish, I can save it for tomorrow without worrying about forgetting anything. Kind of random but I love your shoes 😀😀

5. April 20, 2017 / 9:52 am

i really appreciated your post! my boyfriend says it all the time, progress over perfection. IT’S SO TRUE. you just gotta make strides to move forward 🙂

6. April 20, 2017 / 9:55 am

This was such a great post. It’s hard as a blogger to want to perfect all the time but it’s ok not to be.

7. April 20, 2017 / 9:55 am

I sincerely follow the MUST HAVE BREAKFAST rule as mentioned by you here. And also developed a hobby to watch funny videos on YT.

8. April 20, 2017 / 12:41 pm

Excellent points and tips!! I love it. You miss all the wonderful details of life trying to be perfect. No thank you!

9. April 20, 2017 / 6:28 pm

this is so insightful – i totally agree – it’s so hard for me to let some things go – i try to do it all & perfectly & it could be so daunting!

10. April 20, 2017 / 9:05 pm

Love progress over perfection! Also loving the look. Pleats are perfect in a maxi skirt.

11. April 21, 2017 / 4:29 am

like you said ”No one is perfect” but we think that we find perfection in some people and that is not true!! love the little things that make us happy.

12. April 21, 2017 / 4:47 am

I adore that outfit on you! You look so gorgeous!

13. April 21, 2017 / 5:30 am

Nothing is perfect in this world even though there are certain standard that claims about perfection. The outfit is lovely, and the purse is so pretty!

14. April 21, 2017 / 7:47 am

trying to be perfect is exhausting isn’t it?? lol. and we’re all human (:

15. April 21, 2017 / 9:34 am

Trying to be perfect is exhausting. It’s much better to just be happy. I love your outfit and purse!

16. April 21, 2017 / 10:04 am

We can’t be perfect in everything that we do! I believe that one should give their best shot, so that you don’t have to regret later. Loved your outfit!

17. April 21, 2017 / 10:44 am

Strive for progress not for perfection, this is going on my wall! Wonderful post, thank you from all of the over achievers out there like me.

18. April 21, 2017 / 3:23 pm

I am a perfectionist. I was really stressed out growing up because of it. I try to remember that everything is okay if it is not what I want it to be. Make ahead breakfast is amazing!! I love when my food is ready when I wake up. thanks for great advice

19. April 21, 2017 / 6:17 pm

loved your out fit, specially the jacket <3

20. alisonrost
    April 21, 2017 / 6:33 pm

Deep down I’m a perfectionist .. although my head tells me “don’t do it!” I’m far happier when I embrace my flaws and know they’re simply part of who I am. I’ve also taken up yoga. After trying some of those upside down poses .. oh my .. this perfectionist has met her match!

21. April 21, 2017 / 6:49 pm

That dress and that bag are perfect together. I really love you taste.

22. Our Family World
    April 21, 2017 / 7:22 pm

Thanks for the affirmation that nobody is perfect. I do not strive for perfection, I just try to do my best and be myself. Every one has their flaws. It is in accepting those flaws and putting it in a positive light is the best way to live life.

23. April 22, 2017 / 6:40 am

Adore your outfit and this quote There is room for Beauty in every facet of existence.” We just have to open our eyes to see it.
    How beautiful is it.Plus the breakfast idea and all the hacks sound perfect .Thank you for sharing this .

24. April 24, 2017 / 6:29 am

Thank you for this post, it’s a much needed reminder. xoxo