5 Ways to Feel Less Stressed

I frequently talk about Anxiety on Scotch and Stilettos but not so often about Stress, and the two are very different. Anxiety is a clinical condition which requires Professional help and counselling, stress doesn’t. BUT that doesn’t mean that stress isn’t dangerous and a major problem in society today; with skyrocketing housing costs and wages that don’t allow young people to get n the property ladder, the unrelenting horror of the news, job cuts, Social Media and peer pressures and constant popularity contests, it can be hard to feel calm and relaxed. Take it from someone who knows, stress and anxiety cause incredible physical health issues, from migraines to nausea to full blown IBS. So how do we combat stress in frightening and stressful times? Here are a  few ways that I’ve found can help you to feel more centered when you’re feeling stressed.

• Switch off the news. This is a tip from my Counselor, actually. It was a few years ago and I was terrified of the news, of getting hurt outside, the safety of loved ones and being in the wrong place at the wrong time. She told me to unfollow all the news channels on Twitter and Facebook, stop watching the news at home (because they’re on a 30 minute cycle and once they’ve gone through all the stories they just go back to the start again.) don’t read the newspaper at work. The unrelenting horror of our World comes at us from everywhere now, social media, newspapers, radio, TV, apps. It’s bound to make you feel stressed out but you can’t dwell on it and let it swim around in your head. Turn off the news and watch something you find funny instead.

• Go play with your pet. Studies show that playing with pets can instantly de-stress you. There’s a reason that dogs are often therapy animals. Playing with pets can increase your body’s production of oxytocin, the stress-relieving hormone while slowing the body’s production of cortisol (stress hormone). Also remember those studies that show people can stop a bad day in its tracks by watching a cute animal video on YouTube…. my favourite is kittens 🙂

• Catch some sunshine! It’s easy to feel stressed all the time when you’re not getting any Vitamin-D! So on those sunny days, leave your devices at home, switch off your phone and go for a hike or for a walk by the Ocean, just get outside and in to that warm sunshine!

• Get your Friends together and have a Hygge evening! Hygge isn’t reserved for any one season, it’s simply the feeling of being cozy and content at home with loved ones and Friends. So order some pizza, mix some Margaritas and rent Bridget Jones’ Baby with your girlfriends… or maybe have a games night: food, friends and fun, nothing’s going to de-stress you faster than playing Cards Against Humanity with your best mates!

• Accept that not everything has to be perfect and that you can’t control the World around you, you just have to take it one day at a time and live your life with kindness, love and tolerance. We put so much pressure on ourselves to have everything figured out by 20 or to have success by 28, it’s no wonder we’re all stressed out. Slow down, take a breather and enjoy the moments.

Have a Wonderful Monday Everyone, please remember to be kind and compassionate, we all need it.

1. June 5, 2017 / 8:32 am

These are some great tips to beat stress. My favourite are going out in the sun and meeting friends. It can work wonders.

2. TrinaMaeComeau
    June 5, 2017 / 8:37 am

This is such a great post. I’m struggling with handling work stress at the moment and it is manifesting itself physically. Your suggestions are such a great reminder of ways we can take care of ourselves.

3. June 5, 2017 / 9:00 am

Great advice Ellie. As a parent I often feel stressed. I agree with your counselor, I don’t watch the news anymore. Too much bad news.

4. June 5, 2017 / 9:10 am

Great suggestions. I will take cues from these. Your dress is so pretty. Absolutely beautiful visuals.

5. June 5, 2017 / 4:48 pm

I love your suggestions !! i need to switch off my phone first no social media day
    P.S. you dress and lovely

6. June 5, 2017 / 6:17 pm

Loved it in the first hit, looking at your dress with the amazing sea n beach backdrop itself made me de-stress:). Amazing

7. Scott
    June 5, 2017 / 8:29 pm

Switching off the news goes a long way to reducing stress and anxiety. For that matter, step away from the computer!

8. June 6, 2017 / 9:26 am

Turning off the news. One of the best pieces of advice I’ve ever received. The news brings SO much anxiety. It’s seriously terrifying and paralyzing at times. It’s bad but I find if I ignore most of it (and a lot of Facebook, I’m a lot healthier and happier as a person).

Great post! very necessary during these stressful summer months!

Xoxo,

Ashley || Sed Bona

• June 7, 2017 / 7:01 am

Thanks so much Ashley!! It’s crazy the difference it makes to avoid watching the news. At first I worried because I felt that I should keep informed but when the awful news stories had my anxiety getting unmanageable and it started affecting my happiness It was time to stop watching/ listening/ reading. It’s good to be informed but we have to be able to enjoy our lives as well and not be afraid or paralyzed by bad news. I often watch kitten or puppy videos now when it’s all getting too much lol!

9. June 6, 2017 / 10:16 am

Beautiful outfit and great tips…getting out in the sunshine does help!

10. June 6, 2017 / 11:58 am

I have anxiety too but you are right stress can cause so many problems. It makes my IBS flare up terribly and gives me muscular pain. This is why I need a pug in my life to de-stress! I agree that turning off the news helps as well x

• June 7, 2017 / 7:20 am

Haha Well a pug will definitely help!!! I support that idea! The things that stress and anxiety can do physically to your gut health is insane and of course it becomes a vicious cycle of worrying about your IBS which makes you constantly stressed and therefore constantly in pain with your gut. Not having the constant cycle of bad news in my home and making my home a place of calm and positivity is the biggest help for my anxiety for sure.

11. Michelle Paige
    June 6, 2017 / 6:48 pm

First of all, I’m obsessed with your outfit! Secondly, these are such great tips! Getting some sun and playing with your pet are two of my favorites! When I find myself struggling during the day I usually go out onto the patio with my dog and just lay in the sun for a bit. It’s the best.

xo Michelle | She’s Not So Basic

• June 7, 2017 / 7:14 am

Aww thanks Michelle! Getting sunshine is so important (something we all realized here in the Pacific NorthWest this past Fall/ Winter/ Spring). Playing with my cats and seeing them happy is certainly something that helps when I’m feeling stressed (especially when they go crazy over a paper ball)!

12. June 6, 2017 / 9:10 pm

All of those are wonderful ideas for less stress. I could definitely use a few of those in my life right now. And I also need to make sure that I don’t bite off more than I can chew. That’s an important one for me.

• June 7, 2017 / 7:12 am

Thanks so much! I’m glad that they were helpful! I can relate to biting off more than I can handle lol! Sometimes just taking a step back to look at things from a different perspective helps me with that one.

13. June 7, 2017 / 12:09 am

Agree, for five times! This is a great list on how to avoid stress, especially to “going out and have some sunshine!”. It’s really helps when you are away from your devices and the internet. This reminds me of a trip with my husband David at Jenner, CA, where we couldn’t really get phone service and our cabin wifi was super slow, it made us realize how important it is to enjoy every single moment being together. (https://www.gdblog.net/single-post/2017/04/17/Jenner-California)

• June 7, 2017 / 7:04 am

Thanks so much! That feeling when you get up in to the Mountains by a lake and your phone just says “No Service” is amazing! You can just sit and listen to nature and be calm and content with those you love! Thanks for reading! 🙂

14. hal
    June 7, 2017 / 7:48 am

news news news – is permanently off as its guaranteed to put me in a bad mood and then obviously be too easily affected by other small things then you just end up stressing for no reason.

15. June 7, 2017 / 8:53 am

Anytime I feel a little bit stressed, I play with my daughter and Cat. All that headache seems redundant and family always cheer me up.

16. June 7, 2017 / 9:09 am

These are really good tips to help with stress. I like to relax and watch a movie with my hubby, children or friends it’s great to get some relaxation time.

17. June 7, 2017 / 9:36 am

Love these suggestions! I’ve been feeling stressed lately and so needed to read this!

18. June 7, 2017 / 11:48 am

blocking out the news is the best way for me – its pure doom and gloom and i think that and turning off my phone sometimes is my thing….

19. June 7, 2017 / 1:13 pm

Having a bunch of freinds definitely helps to beat stress. You outfit looks lovely <3

20. alisonrost
    June 7, 2017 / 4:28 pm

I love the idea of having friends over for a pizza night in. That’s something I haven’t done in such a long time. For me, going outside for a long walk helps a lot with stress. I put on a good podcast and the time seems to fly by!

21. June 7, 2017 / 9:24 pm

Love that dress and that beach too. That’s also great for releasing stress.

22. Nay @ beautyaddictmama
    June 8, 2017 / 4:50 am

This is a great post. Thank you for talking about this. When I’m feeling stressed I also switch off from all forms of media and just rest. It helps me alt and I try to take lots of breaks from social media to help me to.

23. June 8, 2017 / 7:52 am

I can totally relate to turning off the news. It is just bad news. I haven’t been watching the news for years now and somehow, I still always know what’s going on. Great post

24. June 8, 2017 / 8:42 am

Listen to music and drawing is my redeemer to beat stress. In the hustle and bustle of the world it is important to find our inner peace by shutting down the access of all these crowded voices at least for a short time.

25. liz Cleland
    June 8, 2017 / 8:54 am

I love the contrast of a print or lace with solid colors. It helps my body fram look smaller and more tone then it really it. Great dress!!

26. June 8, 2017 / 10:34 am

Sometimes I find so difficult to control my thoughts and for that reason I feel so stressed. But anytime I feel stressed I find long walks to be great stress relief for me.

27. June 8, 2017 / 7:03 pm

If I’m stressing about something (usually how much I have to do and how little time I have to do it), I try to compartmentalize and order what’s most important. I often have to figure out how to work around my kids, so sometimes knowing that I’ve done ONE thing (however small!) helps that stress level go down.

28. June 8, 2017 / 10:14 pm

Trying to balance work and life causes me much stress however I have been getting better at it. Love the beach shots!

29. Catvills
    June 9, 2017 / 1:53 am

There is just one thing that would take my stress away – to spend a weekend at the beach watching the sunrise and the sunset over the horizon. To sit in the stillness of the night, staring at the vast expanse of the sky.

30. June 9, 2017 / 5:56 am

great tips! Playing with puppies always helps me decompress!

31. June 9, 2017 / 6:19 am

These are great tips. I like to go for walks outside in nature and just relax. PS your pictures are beautiful.

32. June 9, 2017 / 9:00 am

These are great tips! I love the fact that I live in California where it’s 95% sunshine so when I am feeling stressed or having an off day, I just go outside. My pets also definitely help. Thanks for the tips!

33. June 10, 2017 / 4:35 am

I’ve been writing a few posts similar to this and I completely agree. It’s so important to find ways to reduce stress, a lot of people don’t realise how sick being overly stressed can make you!

34. June 10, 2017 / 6:08 am

Switching off the news is a big one for me. My anxiety is through the roof at the moment and I’ve had to stop reading and listening to the news and try and focus on staying calm. I have a dog but no sunshine!

35. Brittany_WMSB
    June 10, 2017 / 8:16 pm

I could not agree more with these! I used to be a huge news junkie. One day last summer, that all had to stop. I had to schedule an emergency counseling appointment on Monday morning and just felt so anxious and stressed. There had been a mass shooting that weekend, again, and I had been caught off guard when it came on the news and my twitter on a weekend night. I didn’t put it together, but she did because she had multiple emergency appointments that day. With terrible news able to catch us off guard all the time on social media, it’s really hard on all of us! After that weekend, I cut way back. I subscribe to the NY Times and I read my app when I’m ready to read it.

36. June 12, 2017 / 5:42 pm

First off, can we talk about how gorgeous this outfit is? The pleated skirt and the lace top is a fab combo! Your tips are so handy too – it is so easy to feel stressed when you have so much going on in your plate. It is important to de-stress from time to time!

Jessica | notjessfashion.com