Fedora The Explorer

I guess if you’ve been reading my blog or following my Instagram  for a while now, you’ll have noticed that I tend to be wearing wool fedoras. I have several of them in all different colours and honestly I rarely go out without one on now. Fedoras, hats in general to be honest, were not a fashion choice that I came about early in life, in fact, I NEVER wore hats before, I hated them and how they looked on me; I thought they made me look bald in front because I don’t have bangs or a fringe (to be honest, I still don’t wear beanie hats for this very reason!)

Wool Fedoras though, I have found, serve a multitude of purposes for me. One: They complete my outfit, two: they keep the sun off my Vampire-like pale skin… it’s not gonna tan (ever) I’ve given up on that dream – in the words of the kid at the start of Home Alone “I can’t tan, my freckles just connect!” three: Now that I have super ash-blonde hair that verges on being platinum blonde (Gandalf The Grey.. as my Dad now calls me!) they hide my inevitable roots between trips to the salon.

I don’t spend a lot on my Fedoras to be quite honest, this one that I’m wearing in these photos is an old one that I picked up for $35 from Accessorize in Waterloo train station a couple of years back. The Burgundy one that I wear more in Autumn came from Aldo for a whopping $20. and the ones that I’ve bought more recently are from an online store in Australia that I recently discovered (thanks Instagram) called A Lack of Color – honestly, they’re amazing!! The hats are all wool and are hand made in Australia, the hats are apparently favourites of Gigi Hadid, Chiaria Ferragni, Tess Christine, Rosie Huntington-Whitely… the list goes on and you get the picture. The best thing about about their hats, aside from the quality and the range of colours, is the price-point. $68 AUD which (and this makes a nice change) is on a par with the Canadian Dollar!! So I’ve seen some gorgeous wool fedoras in large luxury department stores here that cost upwards of $150 plus tax each and they’re almost identical to those from A Lack of Color.

Perfect for chilling on the beach with your sandals and the cutest romper from one of my favourite affordable fashion stores: Dynamite.

Honestly, all of my outfits are from affordable stores, mainly online, I tend not to purchase expensive designer labels, I feel that you can get amazing looks that are everyday wearable without spending over and above your budget. You don’t need to have the latest Gucci purse to get people to notice or like you, you’re worth isn’t defined by a super-expensive designer bag and the people who do judge you based on the price of your outfit aren’t the types of people you would want to hang around with anyway.

Fashion is fun and should fit your needs, define your own style and don’t just be a designer clothes hanger for the sake of likes on Social Media.

Have a Great Day

1. July 5, 2017 / 11:28 am

I love hats. I’ve been wearing a trucker style ball cap and a summer bucket hat for most of the summer. I like keeping the sun off my face.

2. Amber
    July 5, 2017 / 11:57 am

I just LOVE this fedora. You’ve inspired me to pick one up. You look so lovely in it!

• July 5, 2017 / 5:05 pm

I love this fedora. It looks so cute on you. I’m going to that page noe to see those fedoras.

3. July 5, 2017 / 5:07 pm

Great post! I’ve always shyed away from hats for the same reason… only in recent years taken to beanies but this has me wanting to try a fedora now too! Great to see that the company featured is an Aussie one too (as a fellow Aussie gal lol). The fedora looks great on you! 🙂

4. July 5, 2017 / 6:33 pm

This is such a cute outfit and the hat really ties it all together! I can’t quite pull off a hat because of my bangs but you are totally rocking this look!

5. July 5, 2017 / 7:18 pm

Hats can be a real hit or miss but you look amazing!!

6. mrsportiasmith
    July 5, 2017 / 7:53 pm

First of all…love the post title 🙂 And second, that color is absolutely gorgeous!!!

7. July 5, 2017 / 9:13 pm

Hats and cap surely gives a all toghther different look !! With the right choice of color , it makes you look out of the crowd !!

8. July 5, 2017 / 10:04 pm

My love for hats has been never ending and here the colour is awesome.loved all the photos with a greener background!

9. July 6, 2017 / 5:43 am

You look fabulous in it!! I prefer floppy hats, but I had been trying to get into more types of hats, so I guess this is the next step for me!

10. July 6, 2017 / 1:45 pm

Oh very pretty! I love how you wear it with the play suit, what a gorgeous outfit and you look very Summery!!

11. July 6, 2017 / 3:23 pm

I love this! you’re right the hat finishes off the look! I’m always wearing hats – woolly ones in the winter and ones like yours in the summer! sometimes I think they make me look bald too but at the end of the day I don’t care because I like them 🙂

12. raisingyourpetsnaturally
    July 6, 2017 / 4:42 pm

You have such a great sense of style. I love your romper! It’s a great choice and print for the summer or beach.

13. July 6, 2017 / 8:41 pm

I love hats! More so because I find them fashionable and chic. Your fedora looks great on you. I enjoy your outfit head to toe 👍👍

14. July 6, 2017 / 8:55 pm

Your right about not having to spend a lot of money to look great. There is always a way to find great looks at affordable prices, and I love the fedora on you, it’s super cute.

15. July 6, 2017 / 8:56 pm

Just by looking at the amazing shape of your fedora I can already tell it’s a lack of colour! I think yours is the same as Lady Gaga’s one on her Joanne cover? I love all of their hats!

xx Margaret

16. July 6, 2017 / 10:34 pm

The hat looks great on you! I’m such a hat fan and can say that this has happened over the past few years or so. I literally wear them all year round (wool too).

17. My Teen Guide
    July 7, 2017 / 12:19 am

I haven’t incorporated a Fedora hat in my outfits. I did not know it would really compliment an outfit, with an added benefit of keeping the sun out of our face. I will have to check the sites you mentioned and choose a cute Fedora hat that would go well with most of my summer outfits.

18. July 7, 2017 / 1:05 am

The fedora looks great on you! You suit it so much and it definitely finishes off and compliments the outfit. Great style!

19. July 7, 2017 / 2:30 am

I don’t own much hats to be honest, as I don’t wear them a lot; but I think there’s so many fashionable hats out there including fedora. Wool fedora, pretty interesting! I love your outfit!!

20. July 7, 2017 / 8:36 am

Fedoras are so cool. Always a great addition to an outfit!

21. July 7, 2017 / 10:03 am

Such a pretty look! I love your sunnies and hat!!! Great for summer!!!

22. July 7, 2017 / 11:01 am

Awesome Fedore Ellie. I agree that they add a certain elegance and mystery to your outfit. I haven’t worn one in a pretty long time. My head is kinda big. But, it is very flattering on you. It is fun to add to our wardrobe for the fun and versatility.

23. July 7, 2017 / 1:21 pm

You definitely looks georgeous. With that dress, hat and shoes. A total WOW!

24. alisonrost
    July 7, 2017 / 3:56 pm

This reminds me of my great-great grandmother. No matter where she went, she didn’t feel presentable to go out into the world unless she was wearing lipstick and a hat. In fact, some of the styles she wore were similar to your pretty fedora. I’m sure she would have loved it! x

25. July 7, 2017 / 4:17 pm

You are gorgeous and I love your outfit in these pictures. I’ve always worn baseball hats and snapbacks because growing up I was a tomboy and now I just have so many and they are functional. I don’t think I’ll ever wear a hat as a fashion statement but I appreciate it on others.

26. July 8, 2017 / 7:02 am

Your fedora is gorgeous! I should totally get one for myself, I also almost never wear hats although I like them but don’t think they suit me.

27. July 9, 2017 / 10:32 am

Looks really great on you. The outfit is so cute and perfect for this weather. Very much my style.

28. July 9, 2017 / 7:31 pm

What a cute hat! I always thought of fedoras as hats guys wear, but that actually looks perfect on you! I’d love to get one now.

29. July 10, 2017 / 12:51 pm

You pull off hats SO well!!! I can barely wear them, my head is too small hahah I love your collection, also this romper is way too cute!

30. July 12, 2017 / 5:23 pm

Though outfit looks so light and basic – You really pull it off as you look lovely on this! Not to mention the hat that really match from color to overall. This collection should really count in!

31. July 13, 2017 / 7:14 am

I love this look from head to toe. I feel like I’m perpetually in search of a cute hat that fits me…and this one totally suits you!
    xo, LA
    brownpaperdoll.com

32. July 13, 2017 / 9:29 am

Love this romper, cute print. I started to love hats as well but the toughest thing for me is to find the one that fits my tiny hand. A lot of them go big. Recently I bought a brixton one and loved. I heard and saw a lot of bloggers wearing lack of color. I will check them out. I adore the hat you are wearing, it’s beautiful color and goes beautifully with your outfit

• July 13, 2017 / 9:31 am

You can also get hat filler tape from lack of color to make the hats fit better. I had to with 3 of mine. They fit perfectly now 🙂 hat filler is about $4.

33. July 14, 2017 / 7:09 am

I knew I would love this post purely based on the title – so witty 😀 And big big big YES to the fedora look! I have a few in my wardrobe and I always catch myself thinking, ‘I need another one in *insert any colour*’. So in love with this look you’ve put together. It’s so pretty, feminine, airy and suits you so well, Ellie. Had to laugh at what your dad calls you, haha. Gotta love parents! 🙂
    xox Nadia

34. Sharon Wu
    July 18, 2017 / 8:12 am

I love your pink fedora babe! You look so beautiful. I have a black fedora that’s always worn on repeat and has been since my high school days haha. I got it from Forever 21 and am so surprised it’s still in tip-top condition 🙂 Your pink fedora looks amazing with the romper and those shoes — love the little accent of rose gold on the heel too! xo, sharon

35. August 19, 2017 / 11:35 pm

loved this fedora, you looked fab in it as usual. Its so must that fashion and fun should go hand in hand.