How to rock a Maxi dress this Summer

I think I own about 3 Summer Maxi Dresses now so not a huge number but they are ones I adore wearing, for comfort (They’re lightweight) and for covering my Casper-the-ghost legs and also they’re flowy and pretty. They weren’t always my go-to for summer though as I thought that they were too formal. I have a few ways that you can rock a Maxi dress this Summer though.

• Maxi dresses don’t have to be super formal but they can be, depending on the event or function. This one I’m wearing is from an online boutique in San Francisco called Morning Lavenderย where, frankly, I get a good majority of my clothing now, it’s affordable and wearable and well made too. This is a maxi dress that I wear just for going out on the Weekend, it’s not particularly formal and is lightweight and flowy. Don’t be freaked out thinking that maxi dresses are all too formal for daytime, it all depends on your style preference.

• Keep things fun with accessories: if you have a plain coloured maxi dress that doesn’t have a bold print (like mine does) then you can have fun with statement jewellery; like a great necklace. This automatically elevates a plain coloured dress and makes it elegant and perfect for a Wedding Guest outfit!

• If you’re not super Girly, then you can toughen up your flowy maxi dress with a denim jacket or a leather-look moto jacket. This keeps the look sexy and sophisticated but adds another layer of chic to it and it’s perfect for an evening date when the temperature cools off, just make sure to keep the jacket short and tailored so the outfit doesn’t look frumpy or baggy.

• Play with hats, like this one from Lack of Color, for a more boho vibe. I LOVE my hats (you all know that). A hat can add an air of mystery to a look or it can give it a fun boho, Festival vibe and it’s perfect for keeping the sun off your face at Festivals – literally the perfect look for Coachella if you aren’t all about the glitter and the fairy outfits.

• If you aren’t model tall and are worried that a maxi will be too long, check out the petites section or simply get the dress hemmed up to the perfect length (it’s really cheap and something I do all the time), maxi dresses can be cinched in with a great belt to add extra interest but also to create shape where you want it.

Happy Wednesday!

1. Arra Odeza
    August 16, 2017 / 10:51 pm

I love maxi dresses but I am kinda short for it. It’s sometimes too long for me that’s why I am uncomfortable wearing one.

2. August 17, 2017 / 7:32 am

Love this print on you! I live in maxi dresses and skirts for the summer because they’re so flowy. I would even rock a moto jacket with this for Fall. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Coral
    August 17, 2017 / 7:38 am

Such a nice maxi dress! I love them but being short it’s hard finding one that doesnt trial along the floor. Great post!

4. August 17, 2017 / 10:27 am

My wife will be surely be impressed by this dress. Thank you for sharing.

5. August 17, 2017 / 2:13 pm

Gorgeous! I LOVE maxi dresses, I think they hide a multitude of sins for a start, but they also look great with flats which means I can wear them to a wedding and dance all night long! Your photos are stunning!

6. August 17, 2017 / 2:55 pm

You have inspired me to put that maxi dress back on. I have always loved the way they feel when I wear them but itโ€™s not as easy for me to rock it the way you do. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thanks for sharing these awesome tips! Love it!

7. August 17, 2017 / 4:37 pm

wow stunning maxi, looks so simple yet elegant. I love bold floral prints and have recently got one.

8. August 18, 2017 / 2:25 am

All these summer posts are making me miss summer so much. Love that maxi dress and that hat! <3

9. August 18, 2017 / 2:29 am

All these summer posts are making me miss summer so much. Love that maxi dress and that hat, thanks for sharing! ๐Ÿ™‚

10. August 18, 2017 / 8:43 am

That is a very beautiful dress. I always love your various looks. Just very beautiful.

11. Sara
    August 18, 2017 / 10:21 am

Love this dress on you and love the hat! I’ve got a couple of maxi dresses which, like you, I adore wearing to cover my legs but still feel all girly and be able to float through a summer’s day in the heat! Formal or beachwear, I think they’re great!

12. August 18, 2017 / 11:33 am

I love maxi dresses! I’m usually wearing one every day all summer long. This one is beautiful, I love the fabric and how the back is cut. Thanks for sharing!

13. Amrita
    August 18, 2017 / 10:24 pm

I like using a belt to give shape to maxi too!Summers yo will find me in a maxi dress.

14. August 19, 2017 / 8:52 am

I’m 5’1 and am OBSESSED with maxi dresses! Finding one that doesn’t drag on the floor or overpower me can be hard but still so worth it. If I could, I’d wear a maxi dress every single day of the year ๐Ÿ™‚

15. August 20, 2017 / 5:38 am

Maxi dresses are my go to for any event that requires “nice” clothes in the summer (I.e yoga pants/shorts won’t be appropriate). If I’m being totally honest, I love them b/c I can hid my prickly legs in the summer, but still be dressed for the weather!

16. August 20, 2017 / 7:02 am

I agree that maxi dresses do not have to be formal at all! I wear maxi’s during the day and they are incredibly comfy, especially when you are on holiday. The perfect staple item x

17. August 20, 2017 / 8:47 am

I love a great maxi dress and perfect for summer. I can definitely see these moving into Fall with a jacket or cardi!

18. August 20, 2017 / 4:10 pm

Maxi dresses are really a great style for this summer and Thank you for sharing.

19. August 22, 2017 / 5:03 am

Maxi dresses are surely my go-to during spring, summer and fall! This dress looks so beautiful on you, love the flroals.

xx, Kusum | http://www.sveeteskapes.com

20. Elizabeth O
    August 22, 2017 / 4:09 pm

As a tall person, I have to try on a maxi dress before I buy it as the length has to be perfect or it looks stupid on me. I have a few such dresses but didn’t wear any this summer. It all depends on my mood. I love the dress you are wearing and the hat works well with it. ๐Ÿ™‚