San Francisco City Guide

I think it’s fair to say that San Francisco is one of our favourite Cities; I’ve not been to many places in The USA but San Francisco is up there with Cape Cod and Boston for me. This past May was the 2nd time we had visited the Bay City and this time we were a little more prepared for the prices and much more organized so we saw more in and around the City. One of the great things about being a Blogger is being able to chat to people from Cities that you’re visiting so a HUGE thank you to Chelsea from Chow Down USA who gave me a whole list of places to eat while we were there, she’s a style and food blogger so she knew all the good places!

I booked the earliest flight and we arrived at 10am, this gave us plenty of time to actually make use of that first Saturday and head straight out to Sausalito, the most beautiful little Waterside town just across the Golden Gate Bridge, it’s worth noting that there are bridge tolls on the Golden Gate Bridge but you can opt to have them automatically taken from your card by the hire car company at the airport. Sausalito parking (San Francisco parking in general) is a bit of a nightmare, it’s all on street parking, mainly, and they clean the streets each day so cars have to be moved each day by a certain time to avoid getting towed. It is better to get a taxi/ transit from the airport to your hotel and then hire a car only on the days that you want to travel out of the City to visit other places like Sonoma or Napa Valley or Pebble Beach.

Speaking of Pebble Beach/ 17 Mile Drive, It is well worth the 2 hour drive out of San Francisco to Carmel by the Sea to go see it. It was sunny all the drive down there and as soon as we arrived at the gated entry (as 17 Mile Drive is a residential area) that Sea fog rolled right in and got very chilly but no less beautiful.

Again, this one is outside of the City but take a trip to Half Moon Bay, it’s peaceful and calm and so beautiful. It’s $10 to get in to the parking lot but that ticket is then good for many other state parks that day if you want to move on to explore another one. When we were there we were lucky enough to see 2 humpback whales feeding quite close to the shoreline, so you never know what you may see there in the water!

The Palace of Fine Arts down by The San Francisco Marina gets really busy pretty early so this is one that you may want to explore early in the morning like we did, we were there at 8:30am on our last day and we had the entire place to ourselves. It’s such a stunning building and feels like it’s quite removed from the hustle and bustle of a city, if you want to explore from here it’s a quick walk across the road to Chrissy Fields Marina and Park under The Golden Gate Bridge so there is no shortage of things to do and see.

on to food and drink; San Francisco is pretty serious about their coffee and if, like me, you are a major coffee lover (we brought back 2 bags of coffee from each of our favourite coffee roasters there – 4 places total) and now that I can’t take milk (and most places in The States don’t carry lactose-free or coconut milk) I tend to drink black drip coffee; the great thing about this is that I get to taste the coffee and boy are there some delicious ones in San Francisco. Here are our Favourites: Wrecking Ball (pictured above), Saint Frank, Blue Bottle and Sightglass, we also got some of these recommendations from an old Friend who sent me a great message about some places to check out and go for food and coffee, honestly when I run out of these coffees I will be ordering more online! That’s how good they are.

Le Marais – Chestnut Street

This epic looking Brunch Board is just $15 from Le Marais on Chestnut Street, Chestnut is great for bars, restaurants and hip brunch spots. We actually didn’t go anywhere else for breakfast while we were in SF, we went to Le Marais every single day (except one morning actually when we went to the Hayes Valley Location of La Boulangerie – seriously have their almond croissant and a vanilla bean latte… you’ll thank me!) but Le Marais is always busy and serves Sighglass coffee, they take their pastries seriously and their croissants are the flakiest, lightest most delicious you’ll taste outside of Paris!

La Boulangerie – Hayes Valley

Delarosa – Chestnut Street

for inexpensive but Seriously delicious eats (seriously their pizza is divine!) you have to check out Delarosa on Chestnut Street. We went back for dinner twice and lunch once. Get the Dungeness Crab Arancini balls if they have them – seriously, they’re heavenly. or the mussels (pictured above). Also be advised that Delarosa is all communal seating but it’s such a fun environment and you never know who you may get talking to there and connect with over epic eats.

Dungeness Crab Arancini – Delarosa SF

Hopefully I’ll have some more City Guides up for you soon! Happy Travels!

1. August 24, 2017 / 3:58 am

Wow you guys saw two whales on your trip to San Fransisco! Did thought that you would? For me, that would have been the highlights of the trip! We were in SF a few years ago but only for a day and just saw most of the tourist attractions.

2. August 24, 2017 / 5:02 am

I would love to visit San Francisco and the Napa Valley. I love that blue building against the blue waters…So serene and so peaceful looking

3. August 24, 2017 / 6:15 am

I fell in love with San Francisco years ago, traveling as a child with my family. Recently I was able to spend 48 hrs in this lovely city with my husband and kids and I hope to visit again soon and really explore!

4. August 24, 2017 / 8:01 am

Well, thank you for making me drool. The food looks absolutely amazing. Yum. I hope to make it to San Francisco one day!

5. August 24, 2017 / 8:20 am

I love everything I’ve seen and heard about San Fran. I’ve got a friend who visits quite a bit and absolutely raves about the place. No wonder either, sounds amazing

6. Joanna
    August 24, 2017 / 8:21 am

Thank you for the food suggestions, it looks like your San Francuisco trip did not lack delicious treats! I would love to try those crab arancini! Ever since I visited Sicily I fell in love with the delicious arancini but I have neve rtried crab ones. They sound so yummy!

7. August 24, 2017 / 9:05 am

Awesome imagery! May I ask what do you edit your pictures with? any special fiters? Loved this post!

• August 24, 2017 / 9:15 am

I think I may have used A Color Story app but I’m not sure the exact filter. It may have simply been that I added light flares or elements like that. I tend to just play around with filters and see what I like best.

8. August 24, 2017 / 12:28 pm

I love this city guide! I’ve never been to San Francisco but I’d really like to visit it someday, it looks beautiful. You photos are really pretty and I love your long floral dress too!

9. August 24, 2017 / 4:15 pm

Going to San Francisco is always my dream! It’s a very nice review and you look pretty like a doll in it!

10. August 24, 2017 / 6:03 pm

I so love to explore California. I visited once for a work event and did not get to explore. Looks like tons of greatness!

11. August 24, 2017 / 6:34 pm

Thank you for the information. So next time I visit San Francisco it will be easier for me to maneuver around. Great Job.

12. August 24, 2017 / 6:36 pm

I have been to California but not San Francisco. It is a place I would like to explore and not just to eat my way through, lol.

13. August 24, 2017 / 9:42 pm

Excellent post. This detailed guide is very useful for travelers and others who are going to visit the city. Beautiful photographs add more value to your content.

Take care,

14. August 24, 2017 / 11:50 pm

The whole San Francisco area and around the coast is absolutely beautiful. The water isn’t so fun as it’s so cold. But there are some gorgeous vistas without a doubt.

15. Owen Kariuki
    August 25, 2017 / 2:17 am

Wonderful scenery and fashion guides for the weather. I have placed this destination on my bucket list for traveling. 🙂

16. August 25, 2017 / 4:18 am

Your San Francisco experience is really one for the books. The place, the foods, and your outfits are all awesome. I love the beach and your blue skirt the most.

17. August 25, 2017 / 6:47 am

Great photos. The food pics made my mouth water. I especially love that blue dress. Looks so lovely on you. Thanks for sharing.

18. Blair villanueva
    August 25, 2017 / 7:05 pm

Thanks for your San Francisco guide. For me San Francisco translate to city of tech start-ups! But it is nice to know they have awesome cafes and more restaurants!

19. August 25, 2017 / 8:00 pm

I’ve been fascinated by San Francisco for long now, dunno when will I get to see…loved that they have such amazing cafes and locations to enjoy the trip!!

20. August 26, 2017 / 6:24 am

I absolutely loved our time in San Francisco when we got to visit the USA couple of years ago. Pebble beach was one of my favorites! 🙂

21. August 26, 2017 / 7:01 am

One of my good friends went out to San Fran on a university year abroad and it helped her come out to us, so San Fran has always had a special place in our hearts.I would love to visit the museum of fine arts and I have to say that blue and white china dress on you is so pretty x

22. August 26, 2017 / 12:53 pm

I have only seen a glimpse of San Francisco during the night time, while I was while I was in the USA on a J1 student visa. It was a crazy ride to get there but our time (and money) was limited so at least we have ticketed from our travel list. I would definitely love to come back. Your pictures are so gorgeous!

23. Elena
    August 26, 2017 / 1:00 pm

San Francisco has so many things to offer. I have never been there but I see why it is one of your favourite cities.

24. August 26, 2017 / 10:27 pm

San Francisco is always on my wishlist. Hopefully one day I will be visit this place. Pebble Beach looks a nice place for relaxation.

25. August 27, 2017 / 12:06 am

Oh the photos of the food looks so delicious! I hope i can visit San Francisco someday. It looks a great place to visit.

26. August 31, 2017 / 9:01 pm

I need to get to San Fran ASAP. Everybody I’ve met has told me it’s as good as it gets when it comes to the US, and I’d love to test that theory. These pictures are just gorgeous, nicely done!