Why a Sweater Dress is a Fall closet staple

Ok so a week ago I was walking around in this outfit and I was perfectly warm and even, at times had to take off my jacket; fast forward 5 days and it’s the Polar opposite, and I do mean “Polar”… seriously, I’m expecting Polar Bears and Penguins to walk down the street any minute with the frigid temperatures and snow here. So with that being said, a sweater dress may not be something that you would automatically think to grab on a chilly Fall day but I’ve started to find them a real closet staple recently for the following reasons:

• They’re Warm: Depending on the sweater dress that you purchase, they can actually be quite warm, for the same reason that we wear a regular sweater in Fall/ Winter, this one is just longer. If you wear them with Over The Knee boots like the ones I’m wearing here then there’s no way you’re going to be cold (especially when you have your trusty thermals on underneath to make sure you’re toasty and cozy all day).

• They look great with almost anything: So I paired mine with these very long Over-the-knee flat boots because that’s just how I like to style shorter dresses, especially in Fall, but this dress also looks great with a paid of ankle boots. With a thick pair of black tights/ nylons or leggings underneath and a pair of great ankle boots, this is a look that will keep you looking chic as the temperatures drop.

• They’re perfect for layering: As above (accessories and warmth) sweater dresses are the perfect layering piece for the chillier months, as they’re great layering pieces, thermals underneath, thick nylons and a good coat and you’ve got an outfit that will keep you just as warm as a pair of jeans and a sweater because you have more layers without looking like The Michelin Man!

• They’re incredibly versatile: So they’re called “Sweater” dresses for a reason, this particular dress that I’m wearing here I wore as a sweater in THIS post, tuck the bottom in to your jeans and fold the rest over to cover it and you’ve got a great, cozy sweater that creates a whole new look. Talk about “From Desk to Date”.

Have a great Monday Everyone!

1. November 6, 2017 / 10:15 am

That sweater dress looks great with those boots! I am cold even when other people are wearing shorts here in sunny Tucson. I could use a sweater dress!

2. November 6, 2017 / 12:22 pm

Love your outfit! the hat and boots look so great with the dress!!

3. November 6, 2017 / 1:49 pm

I love a sweater dress, I live in them in the winter! They are so easy to wear and can be dressed up or down, you look amazing!

4. November 6, 2017 / 2:09 pm

I love dresses in general and of course I always choose a sweater dress in the cold days. Your dress is lovely and you combined it well with the boots. I also like your hat!:-)

5. Joline
    November 6, 2017 / 2:34 pm

I love sweater dresses too. I usually pair them with leggings or tights because it gets so chilly here.

6. November 6, 2017 / 2:38 pm

Haha it would definitely be global warming if polar bears and penguins started walking down the street. But I hear you R.E the jumper dress as a fall staple because it can be styled in so many different ways and more importantly is warm too !

7. November 6, 2017 / 4:27 pm

This is really cute- the dress, boots, hat- it all goes together perfectly. Plus, the weather is absolutely perfect for this outfit currently. You could easily change it up for various temps too!

8. November 6, 2017 / 4:41 pm

I know what you mean by the change in the weather. Here in Iowa, we’ve had the same thing. Yikes! My husband and I live in a college town, and whenever I’m on campus, I’m always studying what the girls are wearing. You must be on to something because I’ve seen a lot of sweater dresses around and they always look great. I especially love them paired, like you did, with tall boots. They make every outfit a bit more classy. x

9. November 6, 2017 / 4:55 pm

I can’t wait until it gets cold enough here in Atlanta to break out the sweater dresses… yours is super cute, and love the boots too!

10. November 6, 2017 / 6:21 pm

This is a cute one! I just did a post about some of my favorite sweater dresses as well!

11. November 6, 2017 / 7:44 pm

The sweater and boots? Fabulous! Nothing beats a cozy sweater, and this dress it IT! Grey is my favorite “color,” so I’m in love with this look!

12. November 6, 2017 / 9:38 pm

You look absolutely stunning. That entire outfit really complements you well and looks great on you. It looks both warm and still stylish at the same time.

13. Angie
    November 7, 2017 / 4:08 am

A sweater dress works, just need me a new pair of boots. Its funny cos I was thinking ankle boots and thick tights too, I love both boots. You look cute. x

14. Stephany Bissonette
    November 7, 2017 / 10:41 am

You absolutely need a great sweater dress for Fall! I’m already planning for Christmas and bought and Ugly Christmas Sweater Dress this morning haha!

15. November 7, 2017 / 12:15 pm

haha how serendipitous! I have just bought a sweater vest and I am really looking forward to showing this off for the winter season

16. November 7, 2017 / 1:16 pm

I love sweater dresses and you wear yours well! I wish I looked that good into mine!

17. Blair villanueva
    November 8, 2017 / 12:21 am

You are a fabulous blogger as ever. I like your gray sweater, very comfy 🙂

18. November 8, 2017 / 2:55 am

I love sweater dress, it looks gorgeous on you, and loved the combination with the boots and the hat!! Loved your outfit!

19. sajad
    November 8, 2017 / 7:41 am

You look amazing in this dress and especially that hat and boots are classy. In total you look so beautiful in this outfit 🙂

20. November 8, 2017 / 11:32 am

That sweater dress looks great with those thigh high boots! I love sweater dresses as well but I love to pair them with legging or tights most of the time.

21. Jen S
    November 9, 2017 / 1:32 pm

Sweater dresses always look so cute but I’m always a bit scared to wear them. I’m generally really self-conscious in dresses. Maybe I’ll get over it and try a few on though.

22. November 10, 2017 / 5:25 pm

I cannot wear this kind of sweater dress down here in south Florida, it does not get that wintery cold. But it looks good on you and I can appreciate how versatile it would be to have in one’s wardrobe up north.

23. November 11, 2017 / 5:42 am

Such a cute sweater dress, loving those boots and that bag is everything.

24. November 12, 2017 / 4:41 am

I love a sweater dress! so great for Autumn. This outfit looks great on you