Anti-bullying week 2017

Whether abuse is Direct or Indirect, physical or mental: it is bullying. 1 in 4 Students report being bullied in some form or another and oftentimes nothing is done about it. 40% of workers report being bullied, and with Social Media; cyber bullying is constantly on the rise. The bullying statistics are appalling and yet if anything, bullying is becoming more prevalent.

Reports and studies show that many people who are perceived to be different from their peers are more often at risk from being bullied and it would be easy to say that solutions to bullying were simple to find but it’s more complex than that and requires help from everyone. In a Society that is becoming ever more intolerant and a culture of bullying is becoming more wide-spread, we need to be teaching respect for one another if we want bullying to end; and that involves everyone playing a part in it.

For everyone who has followed my blog for a while then you’ll know that Bullying is a subject that is particularly close to my heart having been bullied since Childhood and in to my recent Adult life. I’ve dealt with School bullies, Friends who bullied me and Work bullies, I’ve dealt with Sexual Harassment in The Work Place and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. Sometimes It can be hard to talk to an adult or to speak up about what you’re going through for fear that people will simple tell you “it’s no big deal” or “stop being over-sensitive” or even “suck it up, we’ve all been there”. Nobody wants to be seen as a “snitch” but you’re not being one, you have a right to be hurt if someone is bullying you and it’s NEVER NORMAL!

I know that in today’s Twitter/ Instagram world it can be hard to feel like you’re good enough or that you can escape the constant barrage of people telling you that you need to be perfect or you need to look a certain way or like certain things or behave in a certain way because that’s what’s “cool” or “popular” but not everything revolves around Social Media and anyone who bullies you is someone who needs help more than anyone.

Something that makes me happy now is the rise of something I didn’t have access to when I was being bullied in School; YouTube creators. Creators like Lilly Singh “iiSuperwomanii“, Dan Howell & Phil Lester “Dan & Phil”, Louise Pentland and Victoria Magrath “In The Frow” these creators show that just because you were labelled “the weird kid” or you love video games or you struggle with depression or anxiety, it’s ok and you matter. They show that being different is great and it seems to give young people who may not have “fitted in” to the school cliques hope: hope and realization that there are creators out there who went through the same bullying or anxiety or depression that they are going through and these people are successful and doing great in life. I think it’s great that young people have people on YouTube like the above-mentioned creators who they can look to, to feel comfort, to laugh with and to feel assured that they are worth so much. But YouTube creators can’t be the only thing to help anyone with what they’re dealing with. Teachers, Bosses and Everyone else needs to step up and be a voice for those dealing with being bullied.

We need to be reaching out a hand to those we see facing bullying and teaching kindness in the face of cruelty or bullying.

“Carry out a random act of kindness with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day, someone might do the same for you.” – Princess Diana.

1. November 15, 2017 / 4:07 am

My daughter is only two now but I can already see she is bullied in the playground. Sometimes I think some of behaviours are ok because after all they are just small kids so it is important especially the parents to teach their kids whats right and wrong. BUT not all the parents does that and even engourage their kids to bully or just turn the head away or worse saying that my daughter is to sensitiv.

2. November 15, 2017 / 5:56 am

Thank you for the courage to post about this. Raising awareness about bullying – the disruption and disturbance it causes on the psyche is very important. Cyberbullying is of particular interest as we are now largely living in an online society. Thank you for this – keep it up.

3. November 15, 2017 / 12:52 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience with bullying. There are many who never open up about the impact it has had on them. People need to know how to recognize it from both sides

4. Karyn Locke
    November 15, 2017 / 1:28 pm

It’s wonderful you’re raising awareness for cyber bullying. Love that coat!

5. November 15, 2017 / 1:35 pm

This was so well written. I think more so now than ever before, we all need to be mindful of how we treat people. It is just out of control.

6. Blair villanueva
    November 15, 2017 / 6:59 pm

I used to be bullied in grade school, and eventually I learned to play their games. I because i learned to hold my ground, I gained a good reputation on that and got their respect.

7. November 15, 2017 / 8:35 pm

looking at so much of bulli-ness around, I really fear if ever my niece who is so kind and warm hearted will get bullied. Never want that to happen. Kids and teens need to have a great mindset when they come across being bullied!

8. November 16, 2017 / 12:53 am

I would definitely love to spread awareness about anti-bullying. Many are still not aware of this. Also generation today should be responsible and avoid bullying other people. Also, that quote by Princess Diana should be lived by us.

9. Aine
    November 16, 2017 / 2:28 am

Such a great message – social media is definitely a game-changer for good & bad – great to see people standing up against bullying

10. Ola
    November 16, 2017 / 3:53 pm

I can’t say that I was really bullied as a child. Sure kids were mean, but I just saw it as a part of life. HOWEVER, as an adult, I have definitely seen this wicked trend in action. It is mind boggling, and on the rise! It’s good to keep up the awareness.

11. November 16, 2017 / 10:36 pm

Such a great post. You’re so right, teachers and other people need to do more. But I agree that it’s so good so many youtube stars and public figures and stepping up and building awareness of bullying. I’ve definitely seen it present on social media a lot lately too, especially in my teenage sisters generation. People say worse things over social media I feel. Probably because they’re hidden behind a screen. x

12. November 17, 2017 / 11:20 am

Bullying is so hard to tackle and often people who are bullied are too scared to get help or tell. Its good that there is more help available and there is more awareness on this subject.

13. November 18, 2017 / 8:52 am

It is important to make sure those who are being bullied realize that they are never alone. Definitely need to reach out to people and to defend those I do see being bullied.